Thursday, April 7, 2011

Spring approacheth

I didn't post after my last aquarium day because I didn't dive, but I should say something about it in here anyway. It was my first time doing surface support on my own last Sunday. It was in otter, which was fun because while the divers were in the water, I could go around back and watch the otter play in his holding pen. He did somersaults till I got dizzy watching him. The divers in the water were at the surface cleaning windows for a good part of the time, and one of the divers, TJ, was very chatty the entire time, even if he was complaining about his too-tight wetsuit. The weather was also very pleasant, so what could have been boring and tedious was actually quite nice. My only screw-ups were forgetting to take the tape off the scrapers before handing them to the divers, and allowing one of my gloves to get blown into the water. No biggie.

After the aquarium I met my friends Sarah and Emily in the city to watch the DVD needed for our PADI drysuit specialty class (funny when I typed PADI I first wrote PAID), which we start this weekend. The video was a reiteration of everything in the book and frankly, a cheesy waste of time. A lot of people have told me that a drysuit class isn't necessary and that they just bought a drysuit and dove to learn, but I still don't know if I ever plan on buying a drysuit. Most places require certification before you rent, so if I'm going to rent it makes sense to get certified. I also liked the idea of taking the class with my friends. I am excited to dive at Dutch again.

And in other exciting news, I am diving Glover's Reef for the first time this Saturday! Lighter wetsuit, warmer water, woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment