Monday, November 11, 2013

Resuscitation

It was brought to my attention this weekend that despite its very short (active) life, my blog has had a positive impact on the world. I had forgotten completely that Liz, a friend who volunteers at the NY Aquarium, first found me through a simple Internet search that led her to my little blog. I later met her at a NYC Sea Gypsies meeting, and thought that was where she came from, and forgot all about the blog thing till this weekend when Liz and I spent the day diving at Dutch Springs together. I gotta say, after 2+ years of my own dedicated volunteer service, the single greatest thing I ever did for the aquarium was helping Liz get there. She is amazingly dedicated and was especially so in the months after Hurricane Sandy totaled the place. She's been a dive team leader/mentor and now educator. She plans to become an open-water instructor and I think she'll be absolutely awesome at it.

So I think it makes sense that I don't abandon this blog. There's always the feeling of, no one's reading this, and I have to be careful of what I say lest I upset someone (which also happened after one of my posts) but I think the benefit of leading people to discover more about diving and volunteering is worth the occasional wrath of cranky boat captains. Still not sure if I'm going to really promote it, or even cross-post on Facebook or LJ -- first let's see if I can actually keep something up.


1 comment: